Thursday, December 22, 2011

12/22/11

Evan:
Another fun day.  Since it's holiday time lots of people at the church offices are off on vacation, so there's not much to do at the office. So we got caught up on a little paperwork, went to the temple cafeteria (feijoada,-dark bean and meat stew- salad with pickled green peppers, white stuff (good) spinach, carrots and a white dressing that was really good--because the lady next to me said it was her favorite-white chicken in a nice dark sauce with veggies, and some really nice portuguese chorizo slices with grilled onions. For dessert a huge piece of really sweet watermelon and a banana puree, which was too sweet for Hiroko but not for me!! I even took the extra banana puree home to use on toast and it was              
                         really good.
Since I'm not too tired I'm going to list a few things that I want to keep as a journal, which this blog will turn into, I suppose.
1--Every day is a holiday for me.  Just like Sis. Scadden said, "I'm loving every minute of every  day"!  The Lord is blessing us with many happy, spiritual moments every day.
Here is a list of some of the things that I've really enjoyed so far:
Lime and chocolate covered wafer crisps
big juicy papayas, mangos, yellow melons, apple-bananas (not really a cross between the two)
goiabada (thick guava paste)
Sucrilhos Moça (a great breakfast cereal)
the friendliest people in the world who laugh along with me whenever I butcher the language
passionfruit yoghurt and juice
crispy little meat, pizza and shrimp pies
3 really huge supermercados within a 5-10 minute walking distance, with so much stuff It'll take me a long time to check them out.
A view of the temple from our window
2 stores across the street with Japanese owners
summer weather
being able to watch TV after 5pm
everybody wearing shorts and sandals after work
being able to go out on occasion without your spouse if she's too tired to go
being greeted by tons of members when you attend their ward
free bus rides if you're over 60
A great apartment with washer, dryer, fridge, 2 bathrooms and 2 showers, tons of storage space and          
         shelves. And being able to find everything since we don't have to search a large home anymore
a bigger and better computer desk than the one at home
Guarana soda (my favorite all-time soda}
working with General Authority-emrerituses and ex mission presidents
our own desks, telephones and computers in a spacious air-conditioned beautiful office complex
          on the temple grounds within a 10 minute walking distance of our apt.
a fridge and pantry fully stocked when we arrived
being treated like royalty by EVERYONE!!
being arm-in-arm with Hiroko all the time
a large modern shopping mall across the street from the temple
Knowing that our kids and grandkids are praying for us daily
enjoying the companionship of the other senior missionaries, who all have a great sense of humor
unlimited hot water for showers (the water is electrically heated as it comes out the shower head)
a ceiling fan in the front room that whirls really fast
not having to go through customs on arrival in Sao Paulo (can you believe that?)
being able to have bring 280 lbs of luggage PLUS 2 carry-on bags, a knapsack and a large handbag
a king-size bed and a spare bedroom
a recliner chair
an employee of the apt. complex that comes by every other day to collect our garbage
a nice view of the neighborhood from our 4th floor apt.

I keep telling everyone that this is more like a working vacation than anything else I could describe.

A final comment--last night I was dreaming about doing something in San Francisco, and when I woke
      up I gradually realized I was still in Brazil and I immediately got so happy that I was still here.
I can't wait to see what next week will bring


 

No comments:

Post a Comment